Best LL.M in Competition and IP Law (2.0)
Amongst my various University activities (and besides research), the one I prefer is to manage the ULg’s bilingual LLM in EU Competition and IP law (created, back in the day, in 2004, by my predecessor Prof. Damien Geradin).
This LL.M has been increasingly successful in the past years, attracting students from everywhere in Europe and outside (Peru, China, etc.). I trust the many conferences we organize in Brussels, the bilingual format of the programme (English-French) and the opportunities for publication in e-competitions are interesting for prospective students.
Since my appointment a few years ago, I have nonetheless had the feeling that the programme could be improved, in particular by increasing its focus on core IP and competition law subjects.
To this end, I have recently undertaken, with the help of some colleagues – I shall here thank in particular Prof. Alain Strowel and my assistant Norman Neyrinck – to bring improvements to the LL.M.
Following weeks of ruminations and discussions, I am proud to disclose the 2.0 version of the bilingual LLM in competition and IP law of the University of Liege. The new programme, which can be found below, will enter into force in the next academic year 2010-2011. A brochure is in the pipeline, and will be out shortly.
The challenge now: how to best disseminate this without being ripped off having to pay thousands of euros to commercial advertising websites? If you have any clue, or feel like helping, please drop me a line. If you know people who could send our programme to students, please also contact me.
- Droit européen de la concurrence 60h – Nicolas Petit (ULg)
- Patents (exercises included) 30h - Geertrui Van Overwalle (KUL)
- Droit d’auteur et nouvelles technologies 45h – Alain Strowel (Covington & Burling, FUSL, ULg)
- Trade related aspects of intellectual property rights in the EU and the WTO 30h – Daniel Gervais (Vanderbilt University) et Norman Neyrinck (ULg)
- Droit européen des marques 30h – Jean-Jo Evrard (Nautha Duthil)
- Intellectual Property and Competition Law 30h – David Hull (Covington & Burling) et Alain Strowel
- Questions spéciales en droit européen de la concurrence 15h – Jean-Yves Art (Microsoft) et Jean-François Bellis (Van Bael & Bellis)
-Legal Writing Seminary 15h – Andrew Fine
- Aspects économiques du droit et de la concurrence 30h – Nicolas Petit
- Droit des aides de l’Etat 30h – Jacques Derenne (Lovells)
Options - Competition law (one course to be chosen amongst the two following subjects)
- EU Competition Procedure and Institutions Nicolas Petit
- Case Studies in EU Competition Law Luc Gyselen (Arnold & Porter)
Options – IP Law (Two courses to be chosen amongst the three following subjects)
- The Legal Protection of Designs and Models 10h Charles-Henry Massa (ULg)
- Droit des médias 10h François Jongen (UCL)
- IP Enforcement 10h Christof Karl (Pagenberg)
Compulsory Seminars for 2009-2011
- The law of geographical indications, quality labelling and certification – E. De Gryse (Simon Braun)
- Unfair Competition Law - A Kamperman Sanders (University of Maastricht)
- IP protection for biotechnologies and other technologies – S. Bostijn (University of Amsterdam)
- Related rights – F. Brison (Howrey and KUB)
- Introduction to Belgian Competition Law – C. Verdonck (Altius)
- Intellectual property and innovation technologies management – JF Serrier (Solvay)
- The Regulation of counterfeited goods – R. Munoz (European Commission and ULg)
- Introduction to US Antitrust Law – D. Hull
- Selected questions of private international law in relation to intellectual property rights - P. Wautelet (ULg)
- Pharmaceutical industry – O. Lemaire (Glaxo)
- WTO Law – Intellectual Property and Competition Issues – D. Luff (Luff and Appleton)